A beautiful book for all dance lovers! Dance has many benefits indeed, and from a personal experience dance has helped me a lot specially during these uncertain times. Sonia is very humble sharing her beautiful and own experience in her very first book. There is lots to learn from and be inspired by such a great success story! – Amazon Reviewer
In a world where every day seems to be increasingly uncertain, finding balance, peace, clarity, and hope can feel like a challenge. Luckily, there is a solution for all of these things: And that solution is dance!
In her new book, Choreograph Your Life, author, esteemed choreographer, and world-class dancer—Sonia Kyriacou—reveals the transformative impact that dance has had on her life—and what it can do for you, too. Dancers and non-dancers alike are sure to enjoy and benefit from the authenticity, knowledge, and experience that Sonia expresses in her stories and life-lessons. Having been a lifelong “student of life,” dancer, and now, instructor of dance, Sonia shares how dance has carried her through some of the toughest seasons of her life. From surviving the emotional trauma of a difficult home life growing up, to dealing with the aftermath of her son’s autism—Sonia’s stories, transparency, vulnerability, and life-lessons are sure to inspire readers everywhere—regardless of their age, profession, or what trials they may be currently facing in life.
As the founder of the San Tropez Dance Studio in Montreal, Canada, and the Artistic Director of the Montreal Salsa Convention, Sonia shares how a shy and struggling girl crippled with low-self-esteem was able to transform her situation—against all odds—to become the confident woman, business owner, and successful entrepreneur she’s known as today. It was through dance that she was able to overcome a lack of support, a lack of encouragement, self-doubting thoughts, feelings of unworthiness, and even, financial struggle.
Now more than ever, it’s essential we cultivate habits and hobbies that bring about joy, love, emotional stability, connectedness, empathy, confidence, and compassion: And dance has the ability to do just that. Through personal stories, research, and examples, Sonia shares how dance can positively impact and completely transform your brain, body, mind, heart, and emotions— and as a result, help you “choreograph” a life that is full of purpose, meaning, joy, and profound relationships. Increased levels of trust, compassion, creativity, social skills, and a renewed love for life are just a few of the profound effects that engaging in dance can bring you.
In her book, you’ll discover the ways different ways that dance has the ability to affect each of us in a powerful way. Sonia addresses topics such as:
- Dance on the brain: How dance has the ability to alter this organ’s form and function for a more balanced, creative, and organized thought process
- Dance and living in the moment: How dance can enhance your capacity to experience states of “flow,” and how it plays a role in stress reduction and overall health
- Dance is healing: How dance carries with it the potential to heal—and bring restoration to our anatomy and physiology. Kyriacou shares how dance has been proven to restructure neuropathways in the brain, increase the size of the cortex, relieve loneliness, challenge our intellect, and bring a sense of comfort, consolation, encouragement, and excitement to our sentiment; thus improving overall cognitive function
- Dance is a language: How dance has been used as a form of communication throughout the centuries, and how it still works as an effective form of self-expression, especially for those dealing with negative emotions, suppressed memories, and even Alzheimer’s, and autism
- Dance and the creative process: How dance can help you structure your life in a way that’s fulfilling, intrinsically rewarding, purposeful, and passionate— in short, how it can help you cultivate a life that you love!
About the Author
Sonia Kyriacou is the owner of the San Tropez Dance Studio in Montreal, Canada. She has been a dancer since her high school years, and maintains over 30 years of experience as a dance instructor.
Sonia’s mission is to show the positive healing and transformative power that can take place in one’s life, through the art of dance. Her goal is to help individuals everywhere realize that no matter what their background, age, personality type, or otherwise—that dancing is for them, and something they can undeniably benefit from.
Sonia currently resides in Montreal, Canada with her loving son, wonderful husband, and their two dogs. In her free time, you’ll likely find her reading, meditating, or watching movies and spending treasured time with her family.