Jane takes the Cake and Daisies in May are wonderful rhyming stories that I use when tutoring my students. Not only do they teach rhyming words, but also they teach different vowel sounds that help students read and spell better. I also use the rhyming words to introduce new words and their meaning to my students. It’s a great learning experience for the kids and tool for me! – Amazon Review
This is a combo book of two stories. The first story is a poem about a little girl who makes up crazy stories and tells fibs – and the question is asked: “How do you know when Jane is really telling the truth?” The second story is a poem about a little boy that wants to go outside to play in May – but it is raining. He gets pretty gloomy and down in the dumps – but eventually the sun comes out. Now he can play outside with his horse and ride his super-scooter. It seems the daisies start to blossom from that day on for this little guy. Here are some of the outstanding features of this book series…
- Kids need to learn rhyming words. This book series is all written in poetic verse with LOTS of rhyming words!
- There are bolded words ofsound patternssuch asshort or long a vowel sounds. Try reading the poems aloud; then stop and have your child read the bolded words as you move through the story.
- Bolded sound patterns in given word families or word clusters – like cake, rake, take, make, help accelerate a child’s reading. Check out a reading study by Wylie and Durrell.
- The bolded words can be used to help your child learn their spelling by providing a spelling list of those sound patterns – saving YOU the time of coming up with a list!
- Your child can use a drawing app where they can fill in and color many of these book pages – because areas of these pages were left for them to color on their tablet if using an eBook. You can also take a photo of a paperback page and download it on your drawing app for them to color. What fun they will have!
- You can also teach your child many new vocabulary words since so many objects are on the pages and often referred to.
- Every book in this series has at least ONE MORE STORY attached to the front story – we call it a combo book.
- You will find that these stories sometimes teach values like treating people the way you want to be treated and sensitivity to people’s feelings like weight issues that people struggle with.
- Finally, many children just giggle and laugh at the pure humor and entertainment value that is simply engaging to your child.
About the Author
Larry D. McClellan has been a teacher for thirty-five years. Most of those years were in elementary education with several years in middle school science. He was nominated by the parents of his elementary school for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Science and Mathematics. Mr. McClellan has taught college education classes as well as college compositional classes. Larry has also had the pleasure of many speaking engagements all over the United States and Canada, including countries outside the North American continent like Poland, Israel and Romania.
Additionally, Mr. McClellan has been asked to write many articles for several publications, including discovery science labs for a world-wide science textbook for college students. A Florida tutoring company in Tampa had him write their reading and math curriculum for their educational program. He has a Bachelor of Science Degree from Michigan State University and a Master of Arts Degree from Indiana University. Additionally, Larry has been selected on several occasions to be featured or write for local newspapers where he lived.
Presently he enjoys tutoring young children to improve their reading and math skills while he finishes publishing his children’s books and science experiment books. Mr. McClellan is clearly – still addicted to kids!