15 TIPS ON SELLING YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS
Here are 15 great ways to market your photography business.
1. Develop a target market and focus on who and what you want to sell. That’s your first objective. Target markets could be: weddings, portraits, sports events and teams, industrial, stock, lifestyle, still life, local scenics and tourism I’m sure you’re getting the idea!
2. Create a portfolio DVD for potential clients. It is very easy for them to view your portfolio on their DVD players at work or at home.
3. Give your customers a DVD with all of their photographs so they can easily order their photographs. The DVD should start with your business logo and then display their photographs in a slide show. It is a very easy procedure for your customer to order photographs. All they have to do is write down the number on the photograph as it appears on the screen and give you a call. When they have a DVD, you never know when they might want to order it could be the next day or two years from now. Let your DVD sell for you!
4. Learn how to manipulate and enhance your photos with Adobe Photoshop CS4
You can perform miracles with your photos once you learn the basics.
5. Consider building a small office in your home. I go to a customer’s home, to their business or a customer comes to my office. I built an office/lab where customers can discuss jobs. Its small (9’x11′), comfortable and includes a wet and digital lab. The office has definitely helped me develop business.
6. Take photographs of any public event such as: grand openings, dog shows, sporting events, graduations, church events and public concerts. There might be an opportunity later when someone needs photographs of that event. At the same time, you will be seen photographing the event and people might come up to you with a possible job opportunity.
7. Always carry a binder with a portfolio of your work in it in case you have to opportunity to discuss some potential jobs.
8. Get your name out there and everywhere. People will start to contact you because they heard of you. Word of mouth is a great form of publicity for you. So are business cards you should be handing them out to everyone. Check out Moo Business Cards, where you can get dozens of different photos when you order a pack of cards. Send postcards every month to existing customers. Remind them you are still in business. Remind them to send you referral customers. Again, Moo Cards allows you to create dozens of different images per order at an incredibly great price!
9. Take as many photographs as possible. Remember, any photograph can be sold the week it is taken or a year later. You never know what photograph will sell or when a photograph will sell. If you have a large inventory, the better off you will be. There might be instances when a newspaper needs a photograph of someone who you’ve photographed recently.
10. Take many candid photographs around town… all I can say is take photographs and more photographs. One day, that photograph is going to be wanted by someone!
11. Look for photography opportunities and create your own. Don’t just wait around hoping that some opportunity will just appear.
12. Get invited to private events because people will hope that you’ll bring your camera along… which you will do! Be sure to hand out your business cards and direct people to your website. Upload the photos that night or the next day and you will get sales.
13. There is an excellent book on how to make a profit with photography. The book is Photography: Focus on Profit
by Tom Zimberoff. Zimberoff will guide you on how to make a PROFIT, not just make money… and there is a real difference. Think of new and creative ways to promote yourself each and every day. And always carry your camera with you. You’ll never know what opportunity may come along.
14. My camera is constantly glued to my face yours should be too!
With these helpful tips and tricks you can start making some cash. A lot of it is being at the right place at the right time. So that means getting out there and wearing out your camera!
© Proof Positive Productions
All Rights Reserved
MOO Postcards Use up to 60 different photos or designs to use for marketing your photo business.
MOO Business Cards. Be unique! Create 200 business cards using your own photos and designs.