Having gone through the simple checklist we provided in Part I of this series you can be sure to eliminate the seemingly trivial oversights while participating in a video contest. In the sequel to the earlier part, we will provide here some advanced parameters that need to be kept in mind.
1. A strong storyline is the backbone of a good video. Select a story line that will move the audience be it mass like in voting or a few as in a panel of judges. The idea is to bring out the emotions in people who watch. Humor is a popular theme since people love to laugh but don’t let the story line fade away without being noticed by adding too much of humor. Try to tug on to hearts of the audience with some strong feelings like patriotism, courage or injustice.
2. Unless the video is specifically about a product or a sponsor, you should mention (or show) the sponsors subtly in your video. Do not make it too bold or the main theme of the video else it will become obvious. You can earn some points by just showing sponsor product(s) in the background.
3. Your first impression is your most powerful. You could lose viewers within the first 5 to 10 seconds, so make them count. Start your story line with a strong compelling image. The video should captivate the focus and interest of the audience in the first few seconds. If you succeed in involving the audience from the very first second the video is filmed, half your job is done.
4. Write a good script once you have finalized your storyline. A good script ensures that you don’t fumble and get lost while the video is being shot. Make sure your story flows.
5. Time your video length to accommodate the complete script that you have written. Most contests have a specified length or give you the maximum length allowable. For example … if you are submitting a “commercial” make it exactly 30 seconds (or as specified).
6. A good background and settings is as important as a good storyline and script. Select backgrounds that are pleasing and appealing. At the same time, be sure your background does not distract viewers from the story line. Good lighting is critical to the look to the video.
Now you are ready for the entry for the contest with a perfect storyline, a good script shot against a fabulous backdrop. To get loads of great ideas for your videos visit youtube.com and search for best commercials.